“Fejn thobb il-qalb jimxu r-riglejn” – Where the heart loves, that’s where the legs walk.
St. Julian’s or San Giljan, is located on the Maltese coast, north of Valletta and it is mostly famous for its thriving nightlife and touristic activity. This town is a hub for new and luxurious hotels, many different kinds of restaurants and trendy nightclubs, mostly centred in an area known as Paceville.
For this reason, St. Julian’s is popular amongst both the locals and tourists alike, especially during the summer months, where visitors take advantage of the good weather to enjoy long walks on the seafront promenade. The landscape of St. Julians is dominated by the tallest building in Malta, Portomaso Tower that stands at 98 metres.
St. Julian’s has a population of around 8,000 people, and its name comes from the patron saint of the town, Saint Julian. The traditional summer festa is celebrated annually on the last Sunday of August.
Before 1800, St. Julian’s was just a small fishing village surrounding Balluta and Spinola bays, with very few buildings except for the Spinola Palace, the old parish church, a few fishermen’s huts and a few farm houses in the countryside. However, it seems that people dwelled in St. Julian’s much earlier. In fact, in the 20th century, some tombs of the Roman period were discovered in Balluta, on the site where today there is the Chapel of the Sacred Heart Convent.